Monday, September 24, 2012

Home?

Where is home?

New York, of course.

But when's the last time I really lived (spent more than half the year, or stored most of my wardrobe) in New York?  Eight years ago?

Williams became a second home; Cambridge, a third.  They're additional "homes" -- not replacement ones.  We moved in knowing that graduation would come in four years, and then we'd move on.

Where is B.'s home?  Ohio?*

Now we're married, still itinerant, (very nearly) no longer students.  Our next move has a less-definite timeline but we'll move on at some point.  When will we exchange "I'm from NY, he's from Ohio" for "We're from ..." ?


Perhaps "home" doesn't need to be a specific place.  Perhaps, in the words of Billy Joel, "home is just another word for you"/ "that's all right my love 'cause you're my home".  (Edit: and the Magnetic Zeros -- "home is wherever I'm with you" / "home is when I'm alone with you")



 Or, in the words of Captain Hammer from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, "home is where the heart is, so your real home's in your chest"... :)



*Bonus question: forget "home"... where in the world is B. resident?  

No comments:

Post a Comment